Friday, August 19, 2011

Week 2 - Nana Peterson is here!

So much of last week was spent napping.  Luckily after my mom left, my mother-in-law, Sarah, flew in.  Talk about a lucky girl - 2 1/2 weeks of help!  Since I was doing better week 2, Sarah took the kids from the house almost every day so I could nap.  Lucky me!

I did try and make a couple of outings.  Sarah babysat one night and Jan and I took Kade to see "The Help."  I cried and laughed... and Kade nursed and slept.  It was wonderful.

On a different day we piled in the car and went to Cabela's.  It is one of my kids favorite places... and luckily for me it is free!

 Not only is it a great place to buy camping, fishing, hunting, cooking gear.... but they have huge aquarium tanks full of fresh water fish, and lots of stuffed animals to see.


 I only made it around 1/4 of the store and I was hurting too bad to continue.  Sarah sat me down and Kade and I waited for everyone to finish their browsing.  Guess it was too big of a goal for my 1st outing.
Jan and Sarah also took the kids to Barton Springs for an outing.  It is a natural limestone aquifer that they poured cement around the edges and people swim in it.  I understand it even has a diving pool.  Since it is over 100* outside and Kade and I can't swim yet... we stayed home and slept. :)



The kids, Jan and Sarah seemed to have a great time!
 On another night we went to see the famous Austin bats that fly out from under the Congress bridge.

 What an amazing sight.  We arrived only 10 minutes before they flew.  I have heard since that it can be a pretty stinky place with all of that guano, but I think because the humidity is so low, we didn't smell a thing.  There is probably a better vantage point.  Most of them flew out over the river, which I couldn't get a good shot of because there were trees in the way.
 Just like dominoes, thousands of bats started pouring their way out, starting at one end and finishing on the other.

 And within 10 minutes it was done.  Our short excursion was accomplished and it didn't wear me out.  Bonus.
 We then drove by the capital.  It was getting late, and we were doing drive-by pictures, so the pics didn't turn out great.



 And some of the Austin skyline from the freeway.

 Thank you Nana Peterson for flying in to take care of us!  We really appreciate all of the help!



 Can you believe this is the Grandma of 9 grandchildren, almost 10???  We have an amazing family and are so blessed!
Next stops?  School starts on Monday, and then a trip to California labor day weekend to baptize Garrett and bless Kade!  More adventure to come!

2 comments:

e.k.peterson said...

What an entertaining blog--love the pics, the info, and the recent memories!

e.k.peterson said...

By the way, e.k. peterson didn't leave that comment. It's me, Nana!